Lice are very small insects which live in human hair and feed on blood drawn from the scalp. They are harmless, but very irritating and contagious. Once they bite you, they release saliva and it causes itching. If you scratch, the wounds will pen, leading to bacterial infection. In case you notice your child itching its head, check for lice and do not hesitate to use home remedies in order to get rid of them.
- Olive oil – it suffocates and kills them on the spot. Comb your child’s hair in order to remove the eggs, then massage the oil into the scalp, put a shower cap and let the oil steep into the hair and scalp during the night.
- Hair dryer – 55% of the lice and 98% of the eggs will be effectively killed with a hair dryer. Start blowing from the scalp and going through the ends, holding it on small sections of the hair for 15-60 seconds.
- Hot coconut oil – it contains lauric acid that contains anti-microbial properties and protects against secondary infections. The fatty acids will help suffocate the lice. Heat some of it into a pan or microwave and massage the warm oil with your fingers on the scalp. Let it stay for 30 minutes and then remove the eggs with a comb.
- Salt and vinegar – with this combination the lice will be dehydrated and killed. Pour ¼ cup of salt and ¼ cup of warm water into a spray bottle. Apply the mixture on the hair and scalp and let it stay until the hair is completely dry. Afterwards, coat the hair and head with olive or coconut oil and let it stay overnight or more than 8 hours.
- Onion – they contain sulphur, a chemical which kills lice. Blend the onion to make a paste, then put it into a sieve, extracting the juice. Massage this liquid on the scalp and then cover it with a shower cap for 2 hours at least. Then rinse it off and use a shampoo. Finally, dry it with a hair dryer. The treatment should be followed for 3 days and then once a month for the following 2 months.
- Coconut oil and apple cider vinegar – rinse the lice-infected hair with ACV and when the hair is dry coat the scalp and hair with coconut oil without washing off the ACV. Apply a shower cap and let it stay for 8 hours minimum. The remedy should be repeated once a week for a period of 3 weeks.
- Tea tree oil – mix 20 drops of it into 2 tsp of regular shampoo and use the mixture to wash your hair.
- Mayonnaise – coat your child’s hair with it and massage it into the scalp. Cover the head with a shower cap, letting it stay during the night. In the morning, ash it with a mild shampoo and remove the left-over eggs with a shampoo.
These remedies are proven to be effective. Try them!